Turning off a Fitbit may not be as necessary as it once was, thanks to improvements in battery life, but it's still important to know how to shut down your device.
Whether it's to save battery life, get a break from your screen or simply to iron out a software hiccup, turning your Fitbit off and on is relatively simple to do, but it does vary depending on whether you have a Charge, Versa, Ionic or Alta.
Read next: More Fitbit help with our FAQ guide
In fact, some Fitbit devices don't actually let you turn off. So, below, we'll let you know which do and don't - and teach you the best available method for switching them off.
How to turn off Fitbit Versa or Ionic
Unlike Fitbit's trackers, both the Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Versa can be turned off until you decide to turn them back on - not just to simply restart. To do so, follow the below steps.
- On the watch, open the Settings app.
- From there, tap About > Shutdown > Confirm Shutdown
- To turn the watch back on, press any of the three buttons at any time.
How to turn off Fitbit Charge 2 or Charge 3
Unfortunately, you can't actually turn off the Fitbit Charge 2 or Charge 3 like you might expect, with Fitbit instead only putting in place a way to restart your tracker. This means that the only way your Charge will turn off and stay is if it runs out of battery, with the method below only temporarily shutting it down.
The VR Today. Currently Virtual Reality is growing in popularity and while companies like the Oculus Rift are losing some of their customers because of unpopular marketing practices, other devices, including the HTC Vive are taking the VR stage. Furthermore, with Google Cardboard creating the concept and other companies taking note, Smartphone Virtual Reality Goggles are letting consumers easily enjoy and experience immersive virtual and augmented reality. With huge consumer base, the multiple platforms for development, and the lack of many VR games and experiences, small start-ups as well as huge companies are investing huge amounts of money into the development of content for Virtual Reality, which might very well help VR finally achieve the world-wide recognition it didn’t manage to achieve on the market for years.
- If you have a Fitbit Charge 3, swipe to the Settings to the Clock Face and hit the Reboot Device tab. This option isn't available on the Fitbit Charge 2.
- If your tracker is unresponsive, hold the button to restart your tracker:
- For Charge 2 : press and hold the button on your tracker for 4 seconds. When you see the Fitbit logo and the tracker vibrates, the tracker has restarted.
- For Charge 3 : press and hold the button on your tracker for 8 seconds. Release the button. When you see a smile icon and the tracker vibrates, the tracker has restarted.
How to turn off Fitbit Alta or Alta HR
Like the Charge line of trackers, you can't actually turn off the Fitbit Alta or Alta HR, and will instead have to put up with just restarting your tracker. Again, this means that the only way your Alta device will turn off is if you drain the battery, with the method below only temporarily shutting it down.
- Put your Alta device on charge.
- Press the button on the charging cable three times, pausing between each press.
- Once the Fitbit logo appears and the tracker restarts, the tracker will have rebooted.
More Fitbit tutorials
Change goals on Fitbit
Temper your tracker's expectations with this quick guide
How to set up Fitbit
Everything you need to know about your first Fitbit steps
How to reset a Fitbit
Start from a blank slate with your tracker
How to change Fitbit bands
Whether you're rocking a Versa, Charge, Alta or Ionic, we can help