The title is an open-world horror where you have to survive the post-apocalyptic Pechorsk Radius zone. Inspired by sci-fi novel Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, you play a UN Pechorsk Special Committee specialist trapped inside, looking to uncover the mysteries within. While the storyline is fantastical CM Games has designed the gameplay mechanics to be realistic, from the weapon handling to the inventory. You have access to classic weapons like the Pistolet Makarova, Double Barrel Shotgun and the AKM Kalashnikov which need to be manually reloaded – you even have to refill the clips – and improve them with new attachments.
Recently CM Games released a major, content-rich update adding new gameplay features as well as rebalancing the shop and loot system.
- Mission map improvements, and a more accurate paper map that marks significant landscape features.
- Improved tactical vest where inventory slots can now accept multiple item types. Mag holsters will now magnet the mag if dropped close enough and the side pouch looks and works more in line with the backpack.
- Improved tutorial.
- Shop prices, gameplay balance, and loot have been tweaked to be more fun. The game will start off with easier versions of fragment monsters, rusted weapons, and equipment to find and loot, along with bigger payouts for artifacts in the shop.
- Added 20+ different cassette tapes hidden all over the game map.
- Player base and shop look and feel improvements.
- New backpack model and animations.
- New art for the knife, new art and improved lighting for the flashlight.
- Improved the player’s body, stopping it from getting in the way when the player is crouching or playing seated.
- Fixed bugs in item repair, and with item loss in some cases of death in anomalies.
- Performance improvements with more options to tune performance and visual quality.
Virtual reality is meant to enhance real life, not replace it.
Into the Radius arrives via Oculus Store’s Early Access category on 13th February 2020 supporting Oculus Rift as well as Oculus Quest via Oculus Link. CM Games has also confirmed a Viveport version is on the way. VRFocus will continue its coverage of Into the Radius, reporting back with the latest updates and announcements.